CEDAR RAPIDS, IA – The Cedar Rapids Tourism Office and the Greater Cedar Rapids Community Foundation are working together to support local attractions and cultural institutions that have been greatly affected by the pandemic and derecho. Due to this collaboration, called Freebie February, during the month of February, residents and visitors can sign up to receive FREE admissions, memberships and more to 10 area attractions. Vouchers will be mailed and are good throughout the year. These admissions may be used immediately or as patrons feel comfortable venturing out.
QUANTITIES ARE LIMITED AND WILL BE DISTRIBUTED IN THE ORDER THE REQUESTS ARE SUBMITTED:
- African American Museum of Iowa (150 available) – Family membership- includes unlimited museum admissions for immediate family members and additional benefits. Good for one year.
- Brucemore (750 available) – Free tour admission voucher, expires Dec. 23, 2021
- Cedar Rapids Museum of Art (125 available) – Family membership- unlimited free general admission to the Cedar Rapids Museum of Art and the Grant Wood Studio for two adults and all children 18 and under living in the same household; 10% discount in the Museum Store; invitations to members-only events and exhibition previews; opportunity to join the Museum’s Collectors’ Circle. Good through February 28, 2022.
- Hawkeye Downs (900 available) – 600 Friday night race vouchers and 300 Enduro Series race vouchers. Expires Sept. 30, 2021.
- The History Center (150 available) – Family membership includes unlimited free museum admission for up to six individuals and additional benefits. Good for one year.
- ImOn Ice (250 available) – Public skate pass, includes skate rental. Expires Dec. 31, 2021.
- Indian Creek Nature Center (750 available) – $10 voucher applied to anything in the retail store or to a program registration. Cannot be applied to special events (ex. Maple Syrup Festival) or traded for cash value. Expires Dec. 31, 2021.
- National Czech & Slovak Museum & Library (500 available) – Free admission voucher, first 100 to sign up receive $10 to the Museum Store. Expires Dec. 31, 2021.
- Theatre Cedar Rapids (limited availability, while supplies last) – Free admission for in-person shows in 2021. Includes any TCR produced outdoor performances. Details for in-person shows and on-sale dates to be released late spring.
- NewBo City Market – support of live events will be announced at a later date.
“These organizations are a critical part of our community,” said Les Garner, President & CEO of the Greater Cedar Rapids Community Foundation. “They educate, inspire, enlighten, entertain and nurture residents. They are important to our economy and the creative life we have here. We are proud to be part of this collaboration to encourage our fellow citizens to participate in and support these organizations.”
“Visitors and tourists are important to our organization, whether they are from Cedar Rapids or Chicago or the Czech Republic. We strongly appreciate this financial show of support and partnership,” said Jim Miller, Vice President for Development and Marketing at the National Czech & Slovak Museum & Library. “2021 is an exciting year for our new exhibits and programs, and we encourage guests to visit when they feel comfortable.”
Find out more about the Freebie February and sign up for vouchers at tourismcedarrapids.com/free-admission.
About the Cedar Rapids Tourism Office
The Cedar Rapids Tourism Office, managed by VenuWorks of Cedar Rapids, markets the Cedar Rapids area as a destination for tourism, conventions, meetings, sports events and special events through the active solicitation of tournament directors, convention and meeting planners, and through engagement with leisure travelers. The Tourism Office attracts events to the Cedar Rapids area that will continue to be the economic driver for hotels, restaurants and local businesses.
About Greater Cedar Rapids Community Foundation
Through professional philanthropic services, strategic investments, and community leadership, the Greater Cedar Rapids Community Foundation connects donors who care with causes that matter. The Community Foundation is a public, nonprofit organization with assets totaling more than $187 million and over 1,000 different charitable funds, large and small, established by individuals, families, nonprofit organizations and businesses to benefit Linn County, Iowa. For more information, visit www.gcrcf.org.