As we gear up for the racing season, Hawkeye Downs is looking for a couple of reliable individuals to join our team. All candidates should apply through Indeed.
Beverage & Merchandise Supervisor
This proven leader will be a self starter, supervising the day-to-day operations of beverage service and merchandise at Hawkeye Downs buildings and providing a quality customer service experience.
Front Gate Supervisor
This proven leader will be a self starter, supervising the operations of the front gate at Hawkeye Downs buildings and providing a quality customer service experience.
Grounds & Maintenance Worker
This position maintains the Hawkeye Downs buildings and grounds, ensuring that a professional and appealing image is consistently displayed for guests.
Hawkeye Downs, a local venue and racing attraction in Cedar Rapids, Iowa, today announced it has hired Scott Unash for the role of Race Director. Unash is a well-known radio personality and local announcer with more than 20 years of experience at the race track. Unash will focus on logistics and operations for weekly race nights, enduro events, private track rentals and new racing/auto-related events.
“I’m looking forward to working with all the racers, fans and the entire racing community in this brand new capacity! After working with Hawkeye Downs the last 21 years calling races and working with many great people, I’m looking forward to taking this new step and helping the track continue to grow for the future!” Says Unash, of his new role.
“Racing has always been paramount to Hawkeye Downs’ identity. The hiring of a full-time race director cements our stance that racing will continue as a cornerstone of our future success.” said Hawkeye Downs Executive Director, Jenn Draper. “Scott’s passion for sports and for our community will shine in this role, and we’re excited to have him on board.”
Unash will assume the full-time role on April 27.
Racing season kicks off in May, pending social distancing guideline updates from federal, state and local authorities.
Cedar Rapids, Iowa – Earlier
Tuesday, Governor Reynolds announced a State of Public Health Disaster
Emergency effective through March 31. This means events of more than 10 people
This currently affects several
of our shows including: The Gun Show, The Gem, Mineral, & Fossil Show, The
Midwest Antique Show, and any private rentals.
The Gun Show and Midwest
Antique Show have been postponed, and makeup dates for those events will be announced
in the future.
The Gem, Mineral, and
Fossil Show planned for March 28-29 has been canceled. There is no plan to
reschedule the show currently.
We are working with the
affected shows on a case-by-case basis to do what is best for show promoters,
our guests, and our staff. Moving forward, Hawkeye Downs will continue to follow
local and federal officials’ guidance to ensure the safety of everyone on our
Our website and social
media will be updated with event information as changes continue and more
information becomes available.
We are now accepting applications for the Race Director position!
Reports to: Executive Director
Employment Status: Full-Time
Pay: Base Salary + Commission
During race season, this position is the primary person
responsible for ensuring the success of racing events through effective
logistics and relationship management.
During the off season, this position is responsible for sponsorships
sales contributing to the overall organizational budget
- Maintain relationships with outside organizations & individuals and act as point of contact for any race-related issues, including but not limited to:
- Area Ambulance Service, Fire Rescue & emergency services
- Other racetrack promoters/directors
- Recruit, hire, schedule and manage part time staff/volunteers needed for racing events, including but not limited to:
- Racing officials & announcers
- Design, implement and coordinate sponsorship sales strategy (with Executive Director)
- Establish and maintain annual sponsorship budget (with Executive Director)
- Mediate disagreements between competitors and/or track officials
- Set annual racing schedule (with input from Race Promoter & Media Manager)
- Review and approve rules for all car classes, with focus on distribution of rules as early as possible for upcoming season
- Act as on site point of contact for all questions or concerns at race events, acting as a first response to emergencies related to racing events
- Establish and maintain annual racing budget as part of overall organizational budget (with final approval of Executive Director & board of directors)
- Determine merchandise sales plan (with input from Media Manager)
- Assist with creation of promotional plan for race season
- Track rentals of items like radios, computers, tablets, etc. used for racing events
- Ensure track is maintained and prepared for each racing event (with assistance of maintenance staff)
- Set weekly race night schedules
- Set purse amounts for each race
- Assist with planning of annual race banquet
To apply, send resume and cover letter to Jenn Draper at email@example.com.